Wood Carvings by Mark Sheridan

Archive for the tag “cowboy spurs”

“It’s All About the Base, ’bout the Base…”

“…no trouble!”  I suspect that I’m probably infringing on a music copyright here.  Sorry.

But, when the base is looking right, the whole carving looks right.  You might recall that when I completed the “Hobo and Ned” carving, the track beneath the pump-car had a gravel and sand bed between the rails.  The gravel and sand was actually a stone and polymer mixture that is used between patio stones and pavers.  Once this mixture is swept into the gaps between the individual pavers and water is added, the mixture cures near rock hard.

I used the same mixture for the sandy soil around the fence posts.  In this instance, though, I didn’t want the soil to be coarse gravel like I wanted for the rail bed.  So, I took some cheese cloth and sifted the dry mixture to separate the larger pieces of grit.  I then added a diluted mixture of white carpenter’s glue rather than just straight water.  I felt that this would just make sure that the polymer really bonded well.  I picked out a few larger pieces from what I had sifted out of the mixture and added them, here and there, to the sandy soil with some of the white glue mixture.  Finally, I positioned the hound in place and “pushed” the boots into the mixture until I was satisfied with the overall stance.


Once things dried, I thought it looked pretty good.  I want to add some colour now to make it look more on the sandy side, but, all in all, I’m pretty happy with the result so far.



“I’ve Got Spurs that Jingle, Jangle, Jingle…”

“…as I go ridin’ merrily along…”

You couldn’t possibly remember that song.  I learned it in Grade 3 and we sang it regularly.  I just recently learned that it is a song written in 1942 and made popular by a number of singers, including Gene Autry.  I hummed it over the last couple of days as I made up a set of spurs for Buford.

I started with a couple of brass tacks I found in a shop drawer.  I flattened them out in a vice to learn that the tack pin is actually a nail with a head.  That little nail ended up being a nice “axle” for a spinning spur.


I then took a file and cut teeth around the circumference of the spur.  Following that, I used a bit of lead to fashion the bracket of the spur that wraps around the boot heel.  This bracket is actually in three pieces.  The part that has the spur “wheel” is drilled directly into the heel of the boot and epoxied in place.  The side portions of the brackets are flattened and shaped lead pieces that are epoxied to the sides of the boot.

The bracket portion of the spurs was given a coat of silver acrylic paint and a urethane coating.  I think that it looks pretty reasonable.  Plus, them spurs spin!


Post Navigation

%d bloggers like this: