The window cleaner will be sitting on a rope held “chair”…actually a plank with a couple of holes in the ends to tie a rope. Safety wasn’t a big thing in the 30’s for this particular fellow.
To get the right angle, I made up a bit of a jig so that I would be able to tell where the ropes would land against his body and where the flat portion of the seat of his pants needed to be to rest against the board.
Then it was on to the hat. I followed my now usual way of creating the hat…modelled off of the way that Lynn Doughty creates his cowboy hats. Basically, it’s cut a flat section off of the head and then carve the hat brow and crown in separate pieces by centering both on a dowel ( for locating ) and then using lead pencil to mark the high spots on mating surfaces…carve them away and then glue the hat together.
So, all together and with a bit of wood burning to make some seams and highlight some edges, here’s where we ended up.
So, that’s where we start in 2018. Happy New Year to you all!