Some Detail for the Cowboy Hound
I spent a bit of time on the Cowboy Hound tonight and was able to provide a bit more detail around his legs and body.
I slimmed down the legs quite a bit with some wrinkles here and there where his knee would bend. I also added a bit of detail to his neckerchief although I want to slim it down a bit more before I’m finished. His gun belt overlaps his belt for his pants and you can see a bit of this on the back of the carving. I also removed quite a bit of bulk from his upper back so that his elbows appear to stretch back further. This will be important when I make the upper rail of the fence that he’ll be leaning against.
Speaking of the arms, I just have the one arm with any amount of detail at this point. Right now they are only attached by a dowel and some glue from a glue gun. I’ll detail both in a bit more and then permanently glue them in place for some final fitting and detailing.
When I was in Hamilton at the carving show, I took a close look at some of the scenes that people had constructed from copper shim stock ( very thin copper sheets ) to make blades of grass and leaves as part of the bases on which their carvings sat. I think I’ll try this with this little Hound and have some blades of grass shooting up beside the fence posts.
He’s coming along.