As I’ve thought about how I’d go about building the base for the window washer, the thing uppermost in my mind has been how do I ensure that this thing won’t tip over or, at least, be easy to tip over.
A quick trip down to the local lumber mill and a search through their rack of short stock solved the problem. I brought home a nice thick piece of hickory for the base. Now, hickory has a number of things going for it…it’s hard, which doesn’t matter all that much to me; it has a nice grain, which matters as I’m planning on a stain and urethane finish for the base; and, it’s heavy!…which really matters to me. I don’t think that tipping is going to be a huge problem anymore.
With the bandsaw, I cut a square edge on the exterior side of the base and slightly curved the interior wall side. With a router, I put a nice edge on the top and bottom of the base and then, again on the bandsaw, cut out a recess where the wall base will eventually be glued in place.
You can see from the pictures that I added a little bit of window framing at the top of the window. I was actually watching a program on television where there happened to be old apartment buildings in the background and I saw this particular window treatment and liked it.
So, you can click on the pictures below to see how things are looking…