I picked up a nice piece of hardwood and cut out an oval shape for the base. After routing in a nice edge and leaving about an 1/8″to play with, I carved in an alternating pattern of cobblestone.
The first thing that I did was use a gouge to create troughs in the roadway where car and wagon wheels would have depressed the roadway from constant use. Once that was done, the cobblestone was first laid out using a v-tool chisel and then with a gouge I made the surface of each cobblestone irregular with little bumps and dips in it…because no one has ever seen perfectly flat cobblestone. That perfectly flat stone in the walkway to your house ain’t cobblestone.
Once that was done, I clipped a few corners of the stones and created a few cracks in others to give it a real worn look and followed up with a wood burner to make the cracks and lines really crisp.
The painting was done with a base coat of grey. Some of the stones were then given a wash of barnyard red, whereas others got a wash of yellow ochre. To add a little dirt and mud, some smudging with yellow ochre and raw sienna did the trick. Finally, to take some of the brightness away and leave the cracks between the stones a bit darker, several washes of payne’s grey were applied.
The routered edge got a dark stain followed by a few coats of satin urethane. The cobblestone had satin urethane applied and then wiped away almost immediately with a paper cloth to ensure that there would be no shine left on the coloured stones.
Finally, a nice brass nameplate was added…and I think it all looks pretty good. A couple more touches and we’re done.